Further food from cooking for my mum , I served these creamy herbed lentils with trout baked in the oven .
I love these lentils they just look like beautiful little stones , called Puy , french or continental lentils , they cook in just 20 minutes . Fantastic in tomato sauce with with spaghetti or lasagne , they keep a nutty crunchiness.
Fresh herbs just cannot be beaten , especially when you find a lovely bunch of tarragon was reduced to just 20p . Either thyme or tarragon leaves mixed with a little oil and vinegar tossed over mixed beans is the taste of summer and a lovely accompaniment for fish or meat or simply eaten from a bowl with bread as a scoop
Creamy Herbed Lentils
200g of continental lentils
Dash of white wine
1tsp vegetable bullion stock powder
1tsp of dijon mustard
Handful of fresh herbs ( thyme and tarragon) stalks removed but not chopped .
2 tbsp of low fat soft cheese
Salt and Pepper to season
- Simmer the lentils until soft in water with the stock
- Drain the lentils and mix through the soft cheese , mustard and white wine .
- Finally stir in the herbs
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve warm but these re-heat well too. ta
More Puy/French Lentil Recipes
- Mediterranean Lamb Stew
- Lentil Leek and Potato Warm Salad
- Quick Lamb and Lentil Stew- with Spelt Bread